17 March 2007

<--I only post this picture because I know that we can't get enough of it. I can't decide if the spectacle of justice is supposed to put me in awe of the State or if I am being disciplined towards better hygiene when being arrested.

Now, I've been know to wander my way into controversy every now and then. But this time, it's just a pet peeve.

The transcripts (PDF) from Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's causing a flurry of not so implausible conspiracy theories ranging from that his confession was made under torture to that he is taking credit for things that he didn't do in order to boost his own prestige and/or take the heat off the real criminals. I'd link to them, but you're probably better off not reading the wild speculation. Not that the official explanation makes all that much more sense, but I digress.

But here is what bugs me. The dude has a name: Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Now I know that the US news media are not great at saying foreign names -- I mean, Ahmadinejad (pronounced EXACTLY HOW IT IS WRITTEN!) -- but this is just lazy. I mean, the guy is a terrorist, not a celebrity couple or Russian spy agency!

Oh, and speaking of Ahmadinejad check out this awesome article by Juan Cole.

No comments: