17 November 2007

A great day to read the news!

There is so much NewsBlues worthy stuff around the "series of tubes" this morning, that I hardly know where to start.

Actually, I do. With FoxNews. Kabobfest beat me to this one, but I thought I'd link the clip anyway. It's just far too brilliant for me to even make a sarcastic comment on. Enjoy!


Now that the Foxies are out of way, let's turn to Pakistan. Now I usually don't like to blog about Pakistan, for the simple reson that I know absolutely nothing about that country. But the BBC is carrying some quotes that are just too good to ignore:

"Did I go mad? Or suddenly, my personality changed? Am I Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?" he asked.

"Have I done anything constitutionally illegal? Yes, I did it on 3 November," he said, referring to his imposition of emergency rule. "But did I do it before? Not once."

He does have a good point, though. I mean, every world leader engages in some 'constitutionally illegal' behavior now and again. Why pick on little old Mushy?


And from Pakistan, we turn to NewsBlues mainstay Israel, which seems to be having an awful hard time relating to European royalty who are also heads of churches. First to Britain, where Prince Charles "snubbed" Israel:
[Deputy Private Secretar Clive] Alderton noted, "Acceptance would make it hard to avoid the many ways in which Israel would want HRH [Prince Charles] to help burnish its international image. In which case, let's agree a way to lower its expectations."
Is it too soon to call this a Royal boycott of Israel? As an aside, HRH is my new favorite acronym.

Pissing off a potential future head of the Anglican Church may be bad, but not as bad as pissing off the Pope. Ha'aretz is quoting Monsignor Pietro Sambi as saying:
"The Holy See decided to establish diplomatic relations (in 1993) with Israel as an act of faith, leaving to latter the serious promises to regulate concrete aspects of the life of the Catholic community and the Church in Israel," Sambi, the Papal Nuncio to the United States, said.



"If I must be frank, the relations between the Catholic Church and the state of Israel were better when there were no diplomatic ties," he continued.
Damn! The specific complaints have to do with taxing Church property and failure to lift travel restrictions on Catholic clergy in the West Bank. Said Israel, "well, you know, Islamo-fascista-terrorists might don a collar and try to blow up all of Western Civilization. Every other country would take the same action if their Catholic priests!" Hell, El Salvador did.

No comments: