17 January 2008

Contender for worst context paragraph of the year award:

As my regular readers (reader?) probably have figure out by now, I read a whole lot of terribly written news stories. But no matte how jaded I get, every now and then I still find myself shocked. Enter Ha’aretz:
Nearing the Nevada caucus, polls bear a similarity to those from Iowa two weeks before its vote. While the media is now occupied with covering the Obama-Clinton race, Senator Barack Obama is in the lead, with Senator Hillary Clinton in second and closely followed by Senator John Edwards. In Iowa, it ended with Obama first and Edwards second. It was a situation akin to that Seinfeld episode, "The Other Guy," where George, Jerry and Elaine remember Luciano Pavarotti and Placido Domingo but cannot remember the name of Jose Carreras, the third member of the Three Tenors.
Ha’aretz: newspaper or after-work-bar-magazine? You decide.

As for me? I’m trying to decide whether this represents a new brand of populist news, in which case it is oddly appropriate that the inaugural article be about John Edwards, or whether to start mourning the death of news reporting. Maybe both.

No comments: