18 February 2008

Help Me!

OK. The News has been a little slow lately. Which is surprising given that there is a U.S. election campaign, Israel is more or less committing genocide in Gaza, Pakistan is voting, and who the heck knows what else. But nonetheless, the news is slow. So I thought I'd do something different.

I think I'm gonna throw out one of those world issues that I have no idea what to do with: Kosovo. Kosovo recently declared independence, with the backing of the U.S., UK, and most of Western Europe. Meanwhile, Serbia, backed by Russia, most of the old Warsaw Pact and, strangely enough, Spain (I guess they are worried about Basque country following suit?).

Honestly, I don't really know where to come down on this one. On the one hand, self-determination and all that. On the other hand international law and all that, not that international law on the founding of new states is all that clear. So I guess this one is open to whomever wants to comment. Go for it.

No comments: